We are delighted to announce that there is a colloquium talk with Prof. Shunsaku Horiuchi in Sungkyunkwan University Natural Science Campus on June 14th. Please join and welcome his talk together.
* Speaker: Prof. Shunsaku Horiuchi (Virginia Tech.)
* Time: Jun. 14th (Wed.), 4:30 PM
* Location: Room 31214, Natural Science Building 1, Sungkyunkwan Univ. Natural Science Campus
* Title: Stellar core collapse: success or failure, and future probes
* Abstract: Massive stars end their lives in a violent core collapse. While the expectation is the formation of a compact object and an optical supernova explosion, an alternate channel is the collapse to a black hole with only a limited optical transient. I will discuss recent supernova simulations and on-going observational studies that are starting to shed light on this core-collapse channel. I will also discuss future probes and the important insights neutrinos provide for this scenario.